Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Jameson Update

I received a call last Thurs that Jameson had gone AWOL at 1030pm (with another candidate) and the program had called police to look for him. He returned at 1215, on his own, at which point they notified the police who came and gave him a citation for being out after curfew. Of course, he also has consequences within the program including having to get up 1.5 hrs early and workout until after everyone else finishes breakfast. Then he can go in and get breakfast (which is cold and soggy at this point). Needless to say, it was a rough night for me :)

On Sunday night, I received the first call from Jameson. Though only 5 min long, it was great to hear his voice. He sounds very strong and determined. He is in the 3rd Platoon and will be calling weekly on Sundays. He has received our mail and requested news of the outside world.

He said he left because he was so angry!! "you just don't understand how hard it is" When I asked why he went back he said "because of you guys" (meaning Jan and I). I told him I was sooo proud of his choice and the hard work he is doing. And reminded him that he will be so far ahead of his peers when he returns; it is hard, but worth it!

They are currently working on team building exercises: when one person messes up, they all get the consequences. An important lesson, but hard to swallow. He is looking forward to starting classes this week as it will take up 8 hrs of the day and so be easier :) I guess that's one way to make a kid happy to study :)

He sends his love to everyone and I sent yours on to him. It was short and sweet, but he is doing well!

No comments: